Latest Posts

Loading...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Celebs 'go green' on World Environment Day

Today, on World Environment Day, celebs talk about one significant initiative they've taken to protect the environment

When we talk about initiatives on World Environment Day, it's not just about switching off the light when not required or saving water. It's about going that extra mile to show your support in saving the earth, say celebs. Considering the rise in petrol prices, model-actor Milind Soman wants to encourage people to take to cycling. Apart from being a great form of exercise, it is also a way of saving the environment. "Taking care of your surroundings should be encouraged in schools and more people should take to cycling to help the environment. I hope to continue my running this time from Kargil to Kanyakumari, and add in cycles during the journey," he says.

Actor Jackie Shroff says it's crucial to keep forests intact. "I'm thinking of settling down someday on my farm in Satara, which is 80 per cent forest land. I'm planning to clean the soil by taking out the pesticides. I'm working with people who are doing a study on conserving and preserving the indigenous seed, and distributing it to the right people."

Ad man Bharat Dabholkar says he's just bought an open plot near his bungalow in Chembur and made a jungle of that space. "There are waterfalls and treehouses for sparrows and other birds. I have grown a variety of trees like ved, champa, oak, peepal and more. I am also planning to install solar power panels at my home."

Atul Kulkarni believes in extending a helping hand in conserving nature. He has been involved in creating a forest across 24 acres of barren land with his cousins, in Kusawade, Satara. "The best way to preserve a forest is to own it. It will take a decade for trees to grow. Maybe my great grandchildren will spot wild animals in the wilderness," he says. Fashion designer Ana Singh adds, "I come from a family of agriculturists. We have three farmhouses in Lonavala and Punjab, which are totally organic. My father has grown many vegetables and trees there." 
Courtesy :  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment